Own a home using this process:
NOTE: This list is a summary. Go to Step by Step to Homeownership for all the details.
- Talk with SCLT staff, let us know you're interested, talk with us about aproximate home prices. Also, download a SCLT Application, and attend a Zoom Orientation session. NOTE: your home is built after the income- and SCLT- qualified Buyer has signed a real estate purchase agreement with the SCLT. It takes a bit less than a year to get the home built.
- Are you Eligible? Review the eligibility criteria. NOTE: Do you have mobility issues? We can design your home to meet your needs.
- Watch a Video to learn more about Community Land Trusts.
- Talk with a Mortgage Lender The lender will help:
- determine whether you qualify for a mortgage;
- provide information on financial assistance available;
- and provide you with a pre-approval letter. This will let you and the SCLT know how much the bank can lend you for a mortgage.
- Homebuyer Education: Alaska Housing Finance Corporation offers a free 6-hour online homebuyer education course called Finally Home™. Download the certificate after successfully completing the course and submit it to SCLT. To register and access the test, go to https://www.finallyhome.org/en/partners/alaska/.
- Review S'us' Héeni Sháak Homeowners Association documents that will be sent to you.
- Meet with an attorney to go over the Ground Lease. Several local attorneys provide pro bono or low-pro bono fee assistance for this service.
- Close the Deal Sign the SCLT Ground Lease and the deed to the home is transferred to you after Closing and the sale is Recorded. Congratulations, you are a homeowner!
- After you Buy: Work with Staff. After you are settled in your home, SCLT staff will be available to help your home purchase succeed over the coming years, until you are ready to sell. When that time comes, we will help you then, too. We'll make sure you have access to classes that will help you succeed.
S'us' Héeni Sháak Community
6 House Designs
SCLT 1 BDRM Mighty Mouse House
SCLT 2 BDRM with stairs to loft-Cottonwood
SCLT 2 Bedroom House-Hemlock
SCLT 3 Bedroom House-Spruce
GIS Map of Neighborhood
SCLT Qualifications and Housing Application